I've Been Ad.....

©2013 by LeeZard
Advertising, more than anything, reflects the current state of society – for better or worse. Unfortunately, IMHO, it’s usually for the worst.
What has me thinking about this is the brouhaha over the recent Cheerios ad featuring a mixed race child. I love it because the commercial is so sweet and child-like. I love it more because General Mills did it and stuck to it after the reaction from the whacko right-wing reactionaries. Both sides represent a clear mirror of where we are today. 
What hasn’t changed since the dawn of advertising time is the mix of funny, touching and brilliant with the stupid, inane and insulting. I’m thinking primarily about the mass electronic media. Oh, let us count the ways.
When I sat down to write this piece I thought I’d take the time to insert examples of everything I’m talking about, the good, the bad and the ugly. I’ve decided not to sully my blog, or your senses, with the trash that often spews from the ad agencies. I’ll talk about them instead in generalities with the caveat that these are my opinions; you may actually enjoy some of this shit.
  • I am particularly insulted by any ad, Radio or TV,  in which a body part or some inanimate object “talks” to us. Okay, the Chevron talking cars are the exception. Even I have to admit they are cute and engaging, not to mention the huge market the campaign created for models of the cars.
  •  Some of these “talking” ads are outright gross, like the one in which your phlegm comes to life. Really?
  • The hair on the back of my neck goes up when the agency bards think they are clever enough to parrot a classic poem or song. It simply doesn’t work.
  • Annoying jingles. “Nuff said.
  • Any commercial involving Flo from Progressive Insurance. Aaaaarrrggggh!!!
  • Talking about insurance, a lot of people love Geico’s friggin’ gecko and its faux Australian accent. LeeZard is ready to stomp the lizard.
  • Almost any local ad where a business owner thinks s/he’s a Radio or TV star.
  • I watch a lot of classic TV shows, despite the commercials aimed specifically at “old” people. From the plethora of funeral plot and cremation ads to the likes of Alex Trebek and (former U.S. Senator) Fred Thompson selling cheapo life insurance, it’s depressing (especially if you’re old).


I could go on ad nauseum but as I said, there’s more bad & ugly than good. So now, let’s have some fun!
Funny:



For my money, 1984’s iconic “Where’s the Beef,” ad starring (then) 81-year old Clara Peller is still the classic funny TV commercial. The phrase swept the nation. Unfortunately Ronald Rayguns used it in a critical debate to help defeat Walter Mondale for the White House. For a long time, Where’s the beef?” wasn’t funny to me anymore.





I’m dating myself, but I loved the 1972
Alka Seltzer campaign featuring that poor sick looking szhlub sitting on the edge
of his bed in his PJs moaning.

And, another phrase joined the lexicon.·    

      



      




One of the funniest ads of 2013, I think, is the Doritos’ Super Bowl spot I call "Football Dad Goes Drag.”





This current ad for the Audi A7 is uncommonly long but it’s worth it, especially if you’re a Spock and Star Trek fan.















Touching:





Lawdy knows I hate to promote beer but pick almost any commercial featuring the famous Budweiser horses. They are simply heartwarming.
   









     



I searched for some international 
commercials and found this one from Romania. I have no idea what they’re selling but the message is powerful.










      





What made this commercial so heartwarming was the timing. It was the 2011 Super Bowl and Chrysler made a significant post-recession statement, “We’re Baaaaack!”















Brilliant:

 I’m sure there are many commercials that people think are “brilliant” In my book there is only one; nothing before or since has measured up to it. I’m talking about the 1979 Coca Cola ad featuring The Pittsburgh Steelers’ Mean Joe Green. Everything else is just Diet Coke.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Woodstock, Sort Of.......

BRANDO

The Rose