Dancin' with Mr. C: And the Band Begins to Play


©2017 by Lee Frederick Somerstein
(AUTHOR’S NOTE: Please take note of my surgery date referenced below. On that date please gather around your radio’s, TVs, mobile devices, places of worship or anywhere else and crank up The Beach Boys "Good Vibrations." I am grateful for all of you.)
 A friend asked me today, “Do you still have that same attitude about your prostate cancer?” I said, “Read my Hat!”
-----
The Dance is about to begin; the orchestra is tuning up. I feel my anxiety levels rising. I will stop to consider these feelings after the next few events.
This week I met my surgeon. He is my urodoc’s[1] partner and an ace at robotic surgery, which is the first option.  Dr. Surgeon is in his early 50s, blondish hair, has a surfer’s suntan, is devilishly handsome and sports a build chiseled out of cinder blocks. I hate him!
He studied at Johns Hopkins University and The Mayo Clinic – pretty decent creds. He’s performed more than 1,000 robotic surgeries. I trust him, especially after he dropped the best one-liner in the meeting.
In 1980, Dr. Surgeon's brother was in Seattle before The Olympic, the Grand Olde Dame of Seattle Hotels, received a long-overdue restoration/renovation. I lived in Seattle at the time and remarked to Dr. Surgeon, “I was there over the years. Before the renovation, all the high priced hookers conducted their marketing and sales from the Olympic’s Lobby.”
Without pausing a beat, Dr. Surgeon replied, “I know. I have a brother-in-law. He married one of ‘em!” I like him!
So, back to the matter at hand, it’s called robotic surgery because the doc sits at a console and inserts those gifted hands into a pair of manipulation gloves through which he controls a tiny scope and the appropriate instrument. He has a close-up real time view of the surgery. “I’ve seen things anatomically on this monitor that I never saw using traditional laparoscope techniques,” he told me.
There might be one hang-up. I had a previous abdominal surgery that went very badly south (Link to Blog Post) and there is scar tissue in the area. “If I don’t have enough room to manipulate the scope and the instrument, we go to Plan B,” Dr. Surgeon said, “that would be to do it the ‘old fashioned’ way, with the standard abdominal incision. In that case it will be a three-day, instead of a one-day, stay and a longer recovery. I won’t know until I get in there with the scope.”
I feel the anxiety uptick a few notches as The Boss and I leave the doc’s office.
The next day it’s my one-hour pre-op appointment at the hospital, blood work, EKG and a long chat with a nurse. She went over everything, including the very nasty bowel prep the day before and the return of the dreaded catheter for at least 10-days. AAAaaaarrrggghhh.
As The Boss and I leave the hospital, the anxiety is up another notch and I hear the band begin to play the overture. The Dance is about to begin (4/25). It’s time to investigate my anxieties.
First of all, it’s only natural to feel anxious before any surgery, especially major cancer surgery. I will deal with that. But, what I wanted to know is if the anxiety is fear-based and, the answer is no as far as I can tell. I’m certain it’s there, around the edges, but the predominant feeling is, “Let’s get this party started.”
In other words, bring it (Read my hat!)!


[1] LeeSpeak for urologist

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Woodstock, Sort Of.......

BRANDO

The Rose