Arrogance Wins, Arrogance Loses

--> ©2016 by LeeZard
 
Wednesday November 9, 2016
Ask The Boss; I’ve been telling her for weeks that I was afraid of this election. Today, I am saddened, depressed and, yes, fearful. I’m still in shock. I’ve never been so deeply affected by a presidential election, not Nixon, not Reagan and not Dubya (although I always feared Vice Thug Dick Cheney).
So, what are we to do, those of us who believe in equality for all and love not hate? For now, we just take a collective deep breath and wait. Like many of you, I’m considering a move out of the country but such a momentous decision should not be made hastily.
I can’t/won’t wait for the so-called pundits to figure this whole thing out. I have my own views. Yes, 20-20 hindsight is easy even if it’s difficult to swallow.
As I awoke this morning to my melancholy, the word arrogance dominated my consciousness. Trump’s arrogance (cannot bring myself to use the word president before his name) helped him win this historic, horrific election. Conversely, it was Hillary’s arrogance that helped her lose. The difference was, Trump’s arrogance was bolstered by his bluster, misogyny and scorn for the truth. Hillary’s arrogance was bolstered by her indifference and over-confidence.
Take Wisconsin, for example – which Hillary didn’t when she should have. After the primaries, she never visited that seemingly safe Blue State, not once. When I worked on local campaigns I learned that you work to your strengths. Instead, Hillary’s campaign took Wisconsin for granted and lost ten electoral votes.
Pennsylvania? I think she underestimated Trump’s strength there, especially in places like Erie, a traditionally Blue part of the state. Twenty electoral votes gone. Toss in Ohio and Florida and, boom, that’s the election.
At a personal level, I can’t say that I like Hillary and, I’ve lost respect for Bill. His little private talk about Hillary’s email mess with the attorney general was arrogance. In my view, the Clinton’s demeanor throughout the campaign was one of entitlement. Nonetheless, the Clinton’s know how to govern and lead. They know how the system works and their positions on my key issues are solid.

What scares me as much, if not more, than Trump in the White House (shudder), is what his stunning victory means to his supporters, especially those on the fringe. Will the KKK initiate new and successful membership drives across the nation so more crosses can burn? Will we see a frightening resurgence of lynching? Will sexual assaults against women increase sharply? Should Muslims, African Americans, Hispanics, Jews and other minority groups fear for their well-being? What about an increase of mass shootings with assault weapons? There are so many opportunities for YES to all those questions. OMG!
So, while I’m not buying a one-way airline ticket quite yet, and with apologies to John Denver and Peter, Paul and Mary, all my bags are packed and I’m waiting to go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Woodstock, Sort Of.......

BRANDO

The Rose