Time

©2014 by LeeZard
The time has come today…..
Chambers Brothers
Ti-i-i-ime is on my side, yes it is…..
Rolling Stones
Time keeps on slippin,’ slippin,’ slippin’ into the future…..
Steve Miller Band


Who invented “time?” If you enter the question into Google, several sites address the question and all in a similar way; nobody invented time. If you look further you learn that the concept of time was more the evolution of observation(s), i.e. the changing of the seasons, the rising and setting of the sun and moon, etc.
I’ve looked at several explanations of Einstein’s Theory of Relativity and, frankly, my eyeballs start rolling back into my head. Clearly I am not a physicist. The closest thing I found to an understandable (to moi) explanation is at http://library.thinkquest.org/06aug/02088/einstein.htm:

“In 1915, Albert Einstein first proposed his theory of special relativity.  Essentially, this theory proposes the universe we live in includes four dimensions, the first three being what we know as space, and the fourth being spacetime, which is a dimension where time and space are inextricably linked.  According to Einstein, two people observing the same event in the same way could perceive the singular event occurring at two different times, depending upon their distance from the event in question.  These types of differences arise from the time it takes for light to travel through space.  Since light does travel at a finite and ever-constant speed, an observer from a more distant point will perceive an event as occurring later in time; however, the event is "actually" occurring at the same instant in time.  Thus, "time" is dependent on space.”
However you define it though, in today’s helter-skelter world, time is everything; there’s not enough time in the day, the Web site takes too long to load, I can’t get all my errands done during my lunch hour, this traffic is making me late. I don’t have time for this; I don’t have time for that.
The idea of time passing is on my mind a lot these days. While 66 is not considered very old by Baby Boomer standards – and I certainly don’t feel, think, look or act “old” – in an existential sense it’s become a part of me. I don’t mean this in a morbid or end-of-life way. Just the opposite in fact, I am becoming more aware of the opportunities still in front of me and, yes, in the back of my mind is the reality that time is indeed slipping into the future.
Nonetheless, time does not scare me and perhaps that is why I will never “retire.” I plan to be productive in one way or another until they plant me or hurtle my mortal remains into space. I also believe it is this kind of thinking that will help me evolve and grow until my last breath.
This is why I took a minimum wage job at Starbucks so I can continue in the role of starving writer. I still believe my audience is out there. It is why I am always looking to make new friends, young and old and why I will always remain “teachable.” And, it is also why the word “love” continues to have so many meanings for me (beyond the traditional definition of “romantic love”); there is always something or somebody ahead that will be worthy of my love.
To everything (turn, turn, turn)
There is a season (turn, turn, turn)
And a time for every purpose, under heaven…..
The Byrds, adapted by Pete Seeger from The Bible, Book of Ecclesiastes
It’s time to move on, time to get going.
 What lies ahead I have no way of knowing. 
But under my feet, baby, grass is growing. 
It’s time to move on, it’ s time to get going…..
Tom Petty



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Woodstock, Sort Of.......

The Rose

BRANDO