Let Us Sing of the Recession


©2009 by LeeZard

We are in a recession of nearly historic proportions and something keeps telling me to write about it. The problem is, nothing new comes to mind. Experts and non-experts with far more economic expertise than LeeZard have written ad-nauseum about this sorry state of affairs. I have a solution.

I’ve always said “LeeZard has a lyric for everything (usually someone else’s).” Let’s go to work shall we. See how many tunes you can name without looking at the footnotes.

----------------------

1.  The place I go to draw my pay,
Closed the door on me today.
Told me just to stay away,
And don't come back again.


2.  Project cancelled
Tumbling central
Red money.


3.  They used to tell me
I was building a dream
With peace and glory ahead.
Why should I be standing in line
Just waiting for bread?


4.  Now thems were hard times back in the eighties boy
People barely had enough to get by.
Oh not me footloose and fancy free
There was nothin' to myself I'd deny.
But fellas listen to my story now
Though you have heard this tale before.
Take care of your needs and watch out for your greeds
Or that wolf will be at your door


5.  Wire in a fire representing seven games in a government for hire…


6.  Take me to the power
Take me to the heat
Take me to the cleaners
If it's open to the street.

Something's got to pay off
Something's got to break
Someone's got a fortune that they're begging
Me to take.


7.  When the money runs out
What will we do?
Turn around and start anew.
Takes all your lovin' babe
To pull me through.
Without your love what would I do?

8.  Once I lived the life of a millionaire. Spending my money, I didn't care.
I carried my friends out for a good time, buying bootleg liquor, champagne and wine.
Then I began to fall so low I didn't have a friend
And no place to go. So if I ever get my hand on a dollar again I'm gonna hold on to it ‘til them eagles grin.

9.  My stock is down and out. I used to be worth my weight in gold.
That was before the great depression kicked in and rocked us.
And that was before the hurricane came in and stopped us.




10. Money, it's a crime,
Share it fairly but don't take a slice of my pie.
Money, so they say
Is the root of all evil today.
But if you ask for a raise it's no surprise that they're
Giving none away.




11. All of these people are much brighter than I
In any fair system they would flourish and thrive
But they barely survive
They eke out a living and they barely survive.


12. Are you out there Mr. no one.
Is my investment growing?
Sorry that I got so drunk
But I wrote you a poem

Did you search me?
Did you turn me over?
While I cold turkeyed
On the sofa?

Did you steal my money?


13. Yes, please somebody,
please go out to Washington for me.
Yes, please, please somebody,
please go out to Washington for me.
Yes, think about us out here.

------------

1. “Worried Man,” Johnny Cash
2. “Red Money,” David Bowie
3. “Brother Can You Spare a Dime,” Gorney & Harburg
4. “I Used to Have Money One Time,” Jimmy Buffet
5. “It’s the End of the World As We Know it,” REM
6. “Easy Money,” Billy Joel
7. “When the Money Runs Out,” Leo Sayer
8. “Nobody Knows You When You’re Down and Out,” Cox & Feldman
9. “Movin’ Mountains,” Usher
10. “Money,” Pink Floyd
11. “It’s Money That Matters,” Randy Newman
12. “Did You Steal My Money?” The Who
13. “Recession Blues,” Author Unkown (Performed by Billie Holiday)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Woodstock, Sort Of.......

BRANDO

The Rose