Help! I've Fallen into the Generation Gap


I wrote this rant several years ago, when the kids were still living at home. I think it still holds true today. What do you think?

©2007 By LeeZard

Okay, I know I am about to come off as a grumpy old man but, here we go. I was driving in the car with Number One Son and shaking my head at what was on the radio. “I just don’t get your music,” I said. “It all sounds the same to me and the lyrics don’t make any sense.” Omigod; I’ve become my father!

Believe me; I’ve tried to understand it. I like a lot of new music and I try to stay current. I have an iPod and at least a third of my songs are post-2000. I just don’t get Rap and Hip Hop. Sometimes it downright offends me -- and I am not easily offended.

With a few exceptions, most of today’s Rap songs cover the same material. They have the same beat and the lyrics – if you can call them that – talk of mutha bleepin’ this or that, my “ho” left me 'cause I hit her, gangstas, I got my piece and I’m gonna kill someone or let’s go somewhere and get loaded.

I am not one of those who thinks we should go around censoring art and burning books. I don’t think violence in television and film triggers violence in society. No, what I am worried about is that violence in our media is a reflection of our society.

Consider exhibit A: same Number One Son walked into a fist one night. He says -- and I believe him because he is a lover, not a fighter (or a liar) – a so-called friend, perhaps after a little too much joy juice, randomly socked him in the face during a debate over Husky basketball. I was outraged; my kid was assaulted and sent to the hospital with a concussion. To him, it was an inconvenience, even though he looked like a raccoon for awhile with TWO black eyes – yet, he seemed unconcerned that there were no consequences for his assailant.

What really gave me pause, though, was when I relayed the incident to one of my adult friends. She said, “well maybe that’s just how things get settled these days.” Have we become that accepting of random violence?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Woodstock, Sort Of.......

The Rose

BRANDO