Not Your Garden Variety ANT Farm


Not Your Garden Variety ANT Farm

©2019 by Lee Frederick Somerstein



I had a most remarkable experience the other day, taking a tour of Windy Acres, a five-acre farm and sanctuary in Bellingham, WA. Windy Acres is no ordinary farm, or sanctuary for that matter. Its crop is growing healthier at-risk kids ages 6-18. Volunteers also help the therapists with veterans and seniors.


Here’s another thing that makes Windy Acres special; the “therapists” are all animals. From the barn cat to the horse herd and a whole lot in between, these animals are improving people’s lives every day.

From their Website:

“Since 1999, Animals as Natural Therapy has helped thousands of people find healing through horses and other animals. Additional services include mobile therapy animals, leadership, anti-bullying workshops and team-building experiences.”



Why Animals, you might ask?

Their work is based on the knowledge that animals can reach a place in the human heart that other approaches may not.

Many of those served are struggling with trauma, grief, depression, anxiety, PTSD, anger, drugs, alcoholism, behavior management and/or other challenges affecting their daily lives.

Executive and Program Director Sonja Wingard explains, “Equine and animal-assisted therapy have been shown to be effective interventions for people young and old struggling with mental, behavioral and emotional health issues.”



I literally stumbled on the place while running errands around town. One quick look at the many signs on the fences, proudly proclaiming thanks to their sponsors, was enough to make me pull a U-turn and drive into the small, gravel parking lot. I already knew that I wanted to volunteer. In fact, I was ready to start the next day!

But life doesn’t move at Somerstein speed, nor does Windy Acres. Free tours are conducted the third Friday of every month and volunteer training only three times a year, or as needed. I signed up on the spot for my tour and grabbed the Volunteer Information and Release Form. I’m in.

My visit left a deep hoof print on my heart. I got a walking tour of the property and met some young adults who introduced me to their horses and explained how the various programs were helping them. Along the way, I made many new animal friends, including a pair of noble looking horses well into their 30's. Oh, and the turkey who will live beyond Thanksgiving. This ANT Farm is a no-kill sanctuary.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Woodstock, Sort Of.......

BRANDO

The Rose